This protocol expands on the University’s regulations for non-degree visiting students found at http://studentmanual.uchicago.edu/enrollment. The protocol for the Division of the Humanities is as follows:
- Only students at the dissertation stage or, in other terms, admitted to candidacy (or its equivalent) at their home university are eligible for non-degree visiting student status.
- Applications should be submitted no less than 3 months prior to the start of the first quarter of attendance.
- The following application materials should be submitted via the Division of the Humanities Online Application:
- a letter of recommendation from the dissertation supervisor at student's home institution which discusses the project in detail;
- a CV;
- proof of financial resources to cover tuition and fees (including University Student Health Insurance if desired).
International applicants must also provide the following:
- proof of financial resources to cover anticipated living expenses;
- a copy of the passport ID page; and
- proof of English proficiency, by one of the following means:
- A TOEFL score with a minimum speaking section score of 18, or an IELTS score with a minimum speaking section score of 6;
- a transcript from an academic institution in the United States, Australia, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or an English-medium institution in Canada or South Africa documenting that the student has been enrolled in coursework full-time, earning passing grades, for at least one of the 5 years prior to applying;
- in the absence of the above, English proficiency may be demonstrated by a result of "pass" on the Academic English Proficiency Assessment conducted by the University of Chicago Language Center via Skype.
- Applications will be reviewed and approved at both the departmental and divisional level.
- Acceptance in writing must be provided by a faculty member who will take responsibility for the non-degree visiting student during the student’s tenure at the university.
- Students in non-degree visiting student status will not be allowed to register for courses.
- The status is available for up to four quarters (one year) maximum.
- The costs for Non-Degree Visiting Student status in 2017-2018 include $1,252/quarter in tuition, $388/quarter in required fees, and $1,324/quarter for health insurance. In addition, international students need to demonstrate access to at least $5,610 per quarter to cover living expenses.